Sunday, November 11, 2018

K’ow and Buneney

K’ow and Buneney
(A Tale from Yap)

In a time long ago, the people of Yap could change their form. They could become an animal, or even a plant if they wished.

Yap Island

One vain young woman decided to become a Buneney, an elegant white crane.

The Buneney was beautiful, with glistening white feathers and a graceful long neck. She used her long neck often, especially to look at her reflection in the still pools of water near the lagoon.

“My, I am truly beautiful!” she would announce. I deserve to marry a handsome man.”

White Crane

Day after day, Buneney spent her mornings looking at herself in her water mirror. She did not notice the shy grey crane, K’ow, who watched her from beneath the coconut palms.

Many young men of the village wished to marry the beautiful Buneney. She refused them all. “You men of this village are too plain for me. I must marry an especially elegant man.”

One by one the men went away, muttering about the proud Buneney. But K'ow continued to watch. Every day he brought her gifts of fish and fresh food. She never once said. “Thank you." In fact, she did not even seem to notice K’ow.

One day Molob, the great black frigate bird, came to this village on Yap. He had heard of the beautiful Buneney. He wished to see her for himself. Now Molob was a large and handsome bird. His kind is rarely seen near the land. He prefers to soar far above the ocean, almost in the clouds themselves.

Buneney was beside herself. Molob was so handsome! Molob was so big. And Molob had asked Buneney to be his wife.

“Oh, yes!” Buneney replied. “I will soar with you. We can look down on these lowly villagers together.”

Buneney was a land crane so she could not fly high. Molob was very large and very strong. He placed Buneney on his broad back. Together they soared high into the sky.

Far below, little K’ow wiped the tears from his eyes. He went back to gathering fish and food for his supper. He missed the white crane. He loved her and did not even mind that she never spoke to him. Now she was gone.

Molob and Buneney flew higher than Buneney had ever imagined. The land below looked like a toy. She could hardly see the people at all. “This is the life, Molob. Yes, this is the life!"

After a time, Buneney was beginning to feel a little tired. "Molob," she asked, “Where is our home to be?"

“This is our home," replied Molob. “I live here in the sky. Do you like your new home?"

“Well,” answered Buneney, “I think so. But I do miss my nest on the ground a little bit.”

Later, as they flew higher and higher, Buneney found herself feeling a bit hungry. On the ground, when she felt hungry she just opened her mouth. That nice grey crane, K'ow, was always right there to pop in a fresh fish. Maybe Melob would be nice too?
“Molob, my husband."

“Yes, Buneney?"

“What is there to eat, in this magnificent home in the sky?"

“Eat? Why just open your mouth, my wife, and fly to the east."

Buneney opened her mouth and flew toward the east. Nothing happened.

“I am still hungry," she said.

“Open your mouth and fly toward the west this time.”

She did, but still, nothing happened. She was getting very hungry.

“Husband, I am very hungry, and I cannot find anything to eat.”

“But Buneney,” Molob answered. “I eat only the air. Isn't it delicious?”

But Molob," Bnneney wailed, “I eat fish and taro. I cannot eat your air.

I am sorry, Buneney. These foods are strange to me. I do not have any of them here.

“Then please," Buneney begged, “take me back to the earth before I am too weak and die.”

Molob the frigate bird took Buneney back to the earth. He put her down on a beach not far from her home. Then he launched himself back into the air and was gone.

Buneney was so week she could hardly move. Nearby she saw a small fish trap. There were some fish caught in the trap. She did not see K‘ow, the owner of the trap, sitting nearby on a rock. She took a fish.

“Who is stealing my fish?" K'ow demanded, pretending not to see Buneney.

“Oh please," begged Buneney, “I am starving. Please let me have a little food."

“All right,” answered K’ow. “Since you are hungry I will give you coconut to drink and fish to eat.” He also gave her taro to eat and betel nut to chew.

Buneney ate. She looked gratefully at the grey crane. How kind he was. How strong he looked as he gathered the fish and brought her taro.

“K'ow, I am sorry I was so mean to you. I see you are a good provider. You have a caring heart. I would like to marry you if you will still have me."

K'ow was overjoyed. “Remember,” he counselled, “The wind does not always blow from the same direction.” Which is to say that one should think twice before leaping. Buneney knew this now. She had leaped far into the air and had almost died. Now she would stay on the ground.

K'ow and Buneney lived happily together for many years. They had many children. And Buneney always had plenty to eat.

Source:
Pacific Island Legends: Tales from Micronesia, Melanesia, Polynesia and Australia.
Nancy Bo Flood, Beret E. Strong, William Flood
1991
Pages: 56-58

No comments:

Post a Comment